Saturday 3 March 2012

Walkabout


On Thursday I planned to go for a short mooch around Hoan Kiem lake and the areas around it. It turned into a marathon heading in totally the opposite direction when I consulted the guidebook whilst having a nice cup of tea and changed my plans for the day. I thought that Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum didn't look that far away and I fancied a walk so after working out my route off I went. Sometime later and a comedy photo with the pineapple seller later I arrived at my desintation.I didn't actually want to see the body (good job too as it was closed) but it was an impressive buidling and the one pillar pagoda was just round the corner. In all honesty that was a bit of a let down. However I did then go into the Ho Chi Minh Museum. Might not be the most exciting subject you may be thinking but it was genuinely one of the best museums I have ever been to. It was half museum half art installation and I got really excited going round (it brought out the sad museum geek in me from my degree days and is totally making me want to go back down that route). I took far far too many photos and have edited them down in my picasa gallery so as not to bore you.

After coming out of the museum feeling a bit giddy I navigated my way to the Temple of Literature which is where fancy and very difficult examinations used to take place. It was a very beautiful and surprisingly tranquil place in the midst of Hanoi craziness. I loved that too. Now any sensible person would've got a taxi or cyclo back to their hotel at this point owing to tiredness but being stubborn (and in money saving mode) I walked on. My feet were killing me, I had put my birkenstocks on thinking I wouldn't be walking very far and it was now raining and quite cold again. Anyway on I trudged ignoring all shouts for a ride. Even when I fell off the pavement into a MASSIVE puddle of god knows what and my sandals got all squishy I continued on. I was proud that I found my way without having to look at the map and I reckon I qualify for my badge in Hanoi Road Crossing (I'm totally a pro now i've even stopped the I don't want to die mantra). The happy sight of my temporary home loomed and another fab day almost came to a close. I realised if I went up to my room on the 5th floor i'd probably never come down again and I needed dinner, so I decided to go even though it was a bit early and treated myself to my new favourite food, vietnamese spring rolls. Yum. Some photos below of the day.

I paid for this with pineapple purchasing

Excellent marching

Very big grave

Inside the Ho Chi Minh Museum

At the Temple of Literature

Cheeky Tortoise

My new fave food!

No comments:

Post a Comment