Wednesday 2 May 2012

I Miss Saigon

Well it's been another busy week here in traveller land. I've already been and gone to Saigon, the amazing Miss Stone has arrived from home, we've been to the Mekong and now we're on Phu Quoc Island enjoying some beach paradise chill out time.

Saigon was brilliant, I loved it. It seems to be that you're either a Hanoi or a Saigon person and I'm definitely a Miss Saigon (see what I did there? Do you? Do you?). It's not that Hanoi isn't nice it's just that there's something about Saigon, it's got more of a centre, it's got more about it somehow and I loved the road where everyone faces off against each other on opposite sides. It looked like either a massive fight or dance off was about to start any moment!

Lets get ready to rumble!


The War Remnants Museum was a very chilling (if not one sided) account of the very recent past that this country has endured and it left me in tears at one point when we were in the exhibit about the affects of Agent Orange. It was the anniversary of the end of the war whilst we were in Saigon and there were flags and posters up everywhere around the city and there was some kind of performance being staged in the park opposite where we were staying that involved dancing (we saw the rehearsals) and singing.

On the day itself Hannah, Heather and I were booked onto a one day tour to the Mekong. We had an amazing day, there were many laughs thanks to our comedy tour guide and also thanks to Heather's 'brilliant' British accent. We saw coconut candy being made, rode bikes around Phoenix Island, wore conical hats as we were rowed down small canals of the river, there was tropical fruits, honey tea and some folk singing and even some crocodiles! Best tour yet by far.

First boat of the day

Coconut Candy

BEES!

Possibly my favourite photo so far

Hannah and Heather rocking the conical hat look

After the Mekong it was time to say goodbye to Heather my travel buddy for nearly the last month. It has been fab to travel with someone else and we have had many a giggle along the way, I think our dance party in the giant hotel room was one of our proudest moments. Pants to the air! You really had to be there, let's just say drying your bikini bottoms took on a new art form that night. Happy travels Heather!

Right now I'm sat on a shade lounger on Long Beach on Phu Quoc Island watching Miss Hannah Stone swim around in the sea whilst I do my blog, WiFi is a magical thing! We're here at the 'Beach Club Resort' for a few days enjoying some chill out time before we hit Singapore, although I'm not sure Hannah has anymore room in her suitcase for shopping.....

Beach Club - Phu Quoc Island


No comments:

Post a Comment