Sunday 5 August 2012

Golf Dressed Fancy

I have recently returned from a final visit to Newcastle before I head off to New Zealand. It was all a bit last minute and totally unplanned but turned out lovely. I got to play golf dressed fancy, see all my lovely friends(thanks Pippa for putting me up) for a last ta ra and start my obsession with the Olympics (more about that in the next post).

So golf dressed fancy. Well it was Stanley Karen Marshall's Birthday and as tradition dictates we normally play crazy golf (or mini golf) in fancy dress of the same theme. The first year was Pirate crazy golf dressed as pirates, aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! The second year, alas a washout was Dinosaur crazy golf dressed as you guessed it, dinosaurs. Poor Tom's papier-mache triceratops didn't like the rain at all. The year after that was probably my favourite, where we played American style mini golf dressed as inappropriate Americans following the Tiger Woods scandal. The costumes were amazing, we had Tiger himself, OJ Simpson, Sarah Palin, Don King, Paris Hilton, Cher, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes (I think Katie was chained to Tom at the ankle) and I went as Monica Lewinsky. The other golfers were frankly alarmed.

Last year there was a break in the golfing activities and I wonder if we have matured in that year as this year it was decided that we not partake of fancy dress but instead dress fancy. See below.....

Golf, dressed fancy



Not quite so many people pointing and staring this year, we were asked if we had been at a wedding though. After a tricky start on the first hole, I think most of us ended up in the bushes or behind trees, I managed a podium place and quite surprisingly came third. Very happy with bronze.

 
First hole difficulties
The rest of that day became a haze of pimms, jager bombs, cocktails and crazy dancing. So a normal night out in Newcastle really. I do love the Toon.It was of course a teary goodbye, I still have my flat there but something tells me that I wont be back one way or another. Of course there'll be visits and no doubt more golf, dressed fancy or fancy dress we enjoy both.

No comments:

Post a Comment