Wednesday 22 February 2012

Scaramanga’s secret lair

It’s hard to believe but I’ve been in Thailand for a week already. In fact this time last week I was in a state that can best be described as delirium after travelling through the night and two planes later arriving in Bangkok on approximately zero hours sleep. Then came the fun of standing in an immigration queue for nearly an hour whilst TV screens above the booths flashed up images of ‘Thailand the land of smiles’ which felt slightly ironic at that point. After the passport was successfully stamped it all got a lot easier, bag already on the belt (no surprise), straight out and right next to the area where my free shuttle from my bargain hotel was waiting to whisk me away to the delights of an actual bed. Oh the joy and indeed I even managed a smile (or ten, or twenty, I was only in bloomin THAILAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Crazy lady that I am I went straight back to the airport the next morning for another plane ride (do you call it a ride?!) to the island of Phuket. I had grand plans to do all sorts of adventuring and trips and the like but I must confess I have mostly been lounging on the beach, under an umbrella of course. You don’t get a tan like mine without serious dedication to the shade and factor 30+.
My most exciting adventuring to date was on a day trip to the Islands in Phang Nga bay in search of James Bond Island where the Man with the Golden Gun was filmed. It involved getting on a big boat, getting off the big boat into smaller boats to do some sea canoeing  in and out of caves and by doing some sea canoeing I mean sitting in an inflatable canoe whilst a jolly Thai man paddles you about. OK so I did have a wee go at the paddling malarkey but I thought it best to leave it to the professional especially when it came to navigating through the caves where we had to lie down in order to get through. Potential hazard.
I’m pleased to say we did find Scaramanga’s not so secret lair and the famous sticky up rock. Alas he was not in residence so we could point and laugh at his third nipple and nor was 007. Of course I took the opportunity to take a cheesy photo with mock finger gun (neither golden or very gun like) and there were lots of other people taking  photos of the rock on their head or holding the rock up with their finger and the like but not a single other person pretending to be James Bond. I mean you go all that way on a trip specifically sold as ‘James Bond Island’ and no one pretends to be 007?!?! No theme tune humming either. Schmucks.
Cheesy photo below and a much wider selection via the link over yonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment