Wednesday 29 February 2012

Traffic Dodging

So I thought when I left Nigeria that the last of my traffic related woes might be over. Until I arrived in Hanoi. On my first evening here, after finding myself being 'upgraded' to a single room because the dorm I'd booked was full (not ideal when you are solo traveller) and feeling a bit lonely I decided to go and explore my surroundings and get some dinner. I quickly developed a strategy of only walking down one side of the street meaning I basically did a big circle because I was too scared to cross the road. Seriously. This city is bonkers. 

I'm very grateful that on day two in Hanoi I did a tour with Hanoi Kids, Vietnamese students who offer free tours in exchange for the chance to practice their English. I was taught how to cross the road, basically just go and hope for the best whilst sort of weaving through the motorcycles and uttering a mantra of "I don't want to die". Well I added the last bit myself. More about the Hanoi Kids tour in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment