Saturday 14 April 2012

Hoi An DANGER

I finished up in Hue with a general mosey around the town and a fun day on a cookery class the day before. I got to wear a chef's hat and everything!

Don't mess, I've got a chef's hat and I know how to use it.

The lady in the market where we got some of our ingredients from.

I left Hue with my new travel companion (sounds like we're Victorian ladies) Heather who I met in the hostel in Hue. We were both heading to Hoi an on the same day and due to a lack of decent dorm rooms had decided it would be a cunning plan to share a hotel room. Lots of travellers we met who were coming from the south had told us that Hoi An was full of hotels with pools and rooms for $15 or less. Bargain.

Having fallen in love with Hue instantly the same happened in Hoi An. It's much smaller and the streets are lined with lanterns and beautiful old houses. They are also lined with tailors, shoe makers and bag makers. Hoi An is a shopper's paradise and quite frankly a dangerous place to be.

On my first visit to the tailor with an idea of having a dress, a skirt and a pair of shorts made I found I had ordered two dresses, a skirt, a pair of shorts and a winter coat. Well the coat was only $50/£31 and it's wool, and it's lined with silk and it's tailor made and well I've run out reasons other than I loved it and I don't have a winter coat, ignoring the fact I don't really need one right now or in the near future. Winter coats aren't big on the beach in SE Asia for some reason.

Today I went back for the first fitting and I loved the skirt so much I ordered another one and also another dress. Ooooops. They nearly had me with another coat too. Draw the line Kasia, draw the line! I did however succumb to the shoe makers who are as we speak, perhaps with the aid of elves making me one pair of sandals, one pair of ballet pumps and one pair of long biker boots. All made to measure from leather and all for the grand total of about £140. Boots that will fit me for the first time ever!!

I sense a(nother) parcel coming home by the way. So yes Hoi An is a dangerous place. I have now firmly locked away the for emergency use only credit card and told myself it's OK I'm allowed the treats as it's my birthday soon. I think for the rest of my time here I must walk around blindfolded but that could be potentially even more hazardous and I've already had one bump to the head!

Hoi An

No comments:

Post a Comment