Monday 17 September 2012

Geothermal happenings

Rotorua, town of rotten egg whiffyness. Actually that's not fair it's only the steaming pools of sulphur around the town that smell not the whole place. I loved it despite the occasional pong, maybe because it reminded me of my uni halls of residence in first year at Durham. Good old Oswald.

On the way to Rotorua I visited the Waitomo caves to see the glow worms, or glow larvae as they should correctly be called. Quite simply magical. The ones that glow brighter are hungrier and do so to attract dinner. Clever glow larvae. They looked like a blanket of stars on the roof of the caves and even if I could upload photos I couldn't show you that because cameras weren't allowed. Google it instead or I'll show you my postcard when I get back.

Rotorua has loads on offer and I packed a lot in to my brief stay. Wai-o-tapu geothermal park was first, geysers, mud pools, crazy formations and stunning colours bubbling up from the earth. The Champagne Pool was my favourite, it literally bubbles like champers and has this weirdly beautiful orange edge, all the while it's smoking with intent. I also went to a Maori village and my favourite trip so far Hobbiton. I'm going to save that for another post and hopefully by then I'll have photos sorted so I can share the Shire with you all.

Right now I'm sat in Te Papa museum in Wellington enjoying free wifi, it does exist here hooray! The museum beckons so I'm off.

Just in case any ex Oswalders are wondering I haven't picked up that smell.









No comments:

Post a Comment